Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Neighboring Conversations

Neighboring Conversations
This article was originally published on March 28, 2012 on the old blog

Yesterday while working in the Oasis I was approached by 2 neighbors, but at separate times. I had been mowing the lawn for about 90 minutes and needed a little break. (I refuse to use a riding mower, it's only an acre.) One of my very sweet neighbors yelled a friendly "Hey" and walked to the end of his fence.
Say, what in the world are you doin' to your house, if ya don't think me nosey?
Smiling, I said "Repairs."
Well, my wife wanted to know. She done told me that you'd been swindled time or two on your roof & I oughta ask ya. Now she'ain't nosey or nothing like at. But she says to me yesterdee that she's mighty concerned and all, 'cause they's been guys over here work'n and she done said you's out here work'n like a man.

(He let out a small chuckle.) My wife, she said you's over here lifting really heavy stuff, dragging big 'ole boards around, grunting & sweating and that you ain't afraid O' work.
image
After my head stopped spinning, I answered, "Yes sir. I want my home completed so I do what I can to help when I can. But,..."
Quickly, he interrupted,
Yep, that's what my wife told me and she's not nosey or anything. Not to get in your business, but why are you doing all this?
"Well sir", I answered, "this is my home & I couldn't just walk away from it. I..."
A burst of laughter shocked me & I didn't finish my thought.
Well, I just pittle round here and there some and keep myself busy during da day, so I ain't seen you a work'n like she says. But I figured something must be going on since she done said all that and all. You know. Well, I guess I'll letcha get back ta what choo'sa doing.
And with that he waved a howdy-do and off he went.
I started the mower up and mowed another 15 minutes or so. From the corner of my eye I noticed a figure approaching me. I saw another neighbor coming toward me. From the distance I heard,
Hey! Are you mowing?
He was much closer now, so I didn't have to yell to answer him. I looked down at my green grass stained hands, legs, and clothes. I was covered in grass and drenched in sweat.
A thought occurred to me: Never assume the obvious is obvious to everyone.
Obviously Mowing
Obviously Mowing
I answered, "Yes. I kind of am mowing. What could I help you with?"
He was standing beside me now, looking down at his shoes, hands in his pockets, and appeared confused.
Okay, I was just checking.
He walked away, back to his yard.
I love my Oasis & my neighbors :-)


Posted from WordPress for Android


No comments:

Post a Comment