Monday, June 17, 2013

Stuff Dad Said

Originally posted at ChrissyAdventures on WordPress

Father's Day is right around the corner literally and I actual went to visit my Dad yesterday. We live very close to each other, but I guess I just am busy with my life and he with his, so we don't get to visit with each other much. Anyway, while on this trip to see Mom and Dad, I started thinking about things he use to say to my brother and I when we were young.
He has a great sense of humor and loves to laugh, although he isn't the best at joke telling himself. He has a very outgoing personality and at times my mother has hidden from everyone in embarrassment at his very open and comfortable presence. (Check out this video to see how impulsively fun he is in public.) I love that about him though!!
Dad never was one much for profanity. He is a baby boomer born in 1945. He had a few different careers early in life even though he only had a 4th grade education, was drafted to Vietnam, married my mother when he returned home, became an entrepreneur, was and still is a talented musician, writer, vocal artist, and adopted my brother and I in the 70's. In 1991 he dove into pastoring the church and has served the ministry since full-time. Rarely did a curse word ever leave his lips, but he did incorporate some slang into his vocabulary from time to time. He would also throw in a few words he thought were "hip" or "cool" from time to time.
Dad, although I know you are not on the internet and will probably never be - here is a tribute to you and the nutty stuff you use to say (and still do).
Got cotton in your ears? That wind'll fool ya!
There's a fine line between faith and foolishness sister...and we're on the line here!
Know what I'm say'n? Do ya dig me?
Sis, stop that! You're a girl!
Trust me, it'll taste good...
Fetch your brother for me.
This here's a little trick I learnt in 'Nam.
Flip!!!!!! (This word would follow his hammer hitting his thumb.)
Don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doin'.
I get the gist of it.
Would you like for me to help you clean your plate? (said with a big hopeful grin)
Now, put this in your spirit... (Insert Advice Here)
Chris, do you ever get tired of talking?
Are you gonna eat that?
Truth in the house! (Always said in church instead of Amen.)
Come to church sometime (said to everyone he ever ran into...ever)
I'm pick'n... (this was followed by an awkward pause until you say "And I'm a grin'n")
Always keep your foot on the rock and your mind made up (This was code for I hid some money for you under a rock that your mom doesn't know about.)
Got everything covered? (Code for do you need any money.)
Now get this, ...(Insert random comment)
Are you reading me?
If you ever hit your sister, you'll have to deal with me.
Jesus never asked someone to take a shower or put on deodorant before he saved 'em.
Your mom said go to bed on time, so could you be quiet enough that she thinks you're asleep?
I did it, it was me. (Proudly proclaimed every time mom found something us kids broke, to save us from the wrath of mom.)
You gotta love people where they're at.
Maybe my dad was 1 in a million? I think so and I thank God for sending me and my  brother to him. I know his life changed after we entered the picture and I appreciate the sacrifices he and mom made for us.
Happy Father's Day Daddy. I love you!!
Mom & Dad - Before Kids
Mom & Dad - Before Kids

No comments:

Post a Comment